SchoolHack's Monthly CBE Working Group - Facilitated Conversations about Competency-based Graduation - May 1, 2018
Educators brought problems forward for the group to solve, shared strategies, and generated questions that led to new thinking and ideas. A few of their great discussion points and questions:
- How can we give learners a sense of progress as they are working to meet their proficiencies? Could there be Learner Growth or Velocity of Learning assessments to provide that sense of movement toward mastery?
- How can we benchmark requirements?
- How can we winnow our indicators or learning targets to avoid the redundancy that learners are experiencing with our expectations?
- How has our proficiency-based focus affected our instruction?
- How to encourage lower-performing learners' continued efforts in order to make progress.
- How schools have identified and established their proficiencies and graduation requirements.
- How to foster student ownership of the transition to be proficiency-based.
- How to inform and involve the community in the shift to proficiency-based graduation.
Thanks to all who joined the first of this working group's monthly conversations. To participate, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.